800 Baker Street, 1909

This building, the longtime home of Cranbrook Photo, is the finest example of commercial Edwardian architecture in Cranbrook. It was designed by Calgary architect William Stanley Bates. Built of brick with sandstone trim shipped from Alberta and sporting an authoritative cornice, this was the third home of the Imperial Bank (allowing the bank to move out of rooms it had taken over from an undertaker into these much loftier surroundings). The building still contains some of the original vaults. Before the bank was built, the lot was occupied by Cranbrook's townsite office. 

Immediately to the west of the building, about where the statue of Cranbrook Ed points his trunk, was the city's first fire hall. On November 22, 1905, that fire hall housed the vote where Cranbrook was declared a city, with 173 of a possible 200 voters casting ballots.