Water Tower, 1946

The statuesque red tower located at the west end of Baker Street is one of the last surviving water towers in Canada. 

This isn't its first home, however. It was originally built in 1946 (replacing the original 1898 tower) about half a kilometre south-west, close to the existing CPR roundhouse. In 1994, it made the slow, careful journey to its current location to become part of the museum zone celebrating Cranbrook's railway heritage. Moving the tower was quite the undertaking. It still has the original 45,000 litre heavy wooden tank -- designed to provide water to steam engines -- which is supported by massive posts, braces and joists eight metres above ground level. House mover Elvin Townsend, with the support of the CPR, had to negotiate the tower over several railroad tracks and a small rise before carefully placing it on its new foundation. 

A mast with a ball adorns the roof; when the water tank was full, the ball would be at the top of the mast. As the tower emptied, the ball would fall.