CPR Freight Shed, 1898

The first section of this three-part structure was one of Cranbrook's earliest buildings. 

Sections were added in 1906 and 1912, resulting in the current structure. The shed was a critical part of the economic success of the town; it housed all goods shipped to and from Cranbrook on the CPR line. After decommissioning, it became a lumber company, an antique store and also sat empty for several years. Eventually, the City of Cranbrook started acquiring land which would house the collection of cars that make up the railway museum and the freight shed property was part of the parcel. The shed had to be relocated a short distance to a new foundation. 

It now houses huge exhibition spaces, including two operating model railways and a paleontology collection.